My earlier post was on a Chocolate Malt Frosting which I was working on to prepare a Chocolate Malt Cake. I always like to test out my frosting first. I always wonder what if the cake is good but the frosting is crap, how will I fix the disaster? Just easier knowing before hand it's a good frosting and it'll make your cake sway the direction you want it to.
I've had a big team meeting coming up to be followed by birthday celebrations of two of my colleagues. I usually try to make a grander cake when I have to bake for two people, I feel if its twice the people, twice the effort is required :) This has been one of my favourite cakes in the recent baking adventures. It looks pretty, it's full of chocolate with the right balance of Malt and best served cold. If served at room temperature the cake may tend to be too sweet for some and too heavy. Served immediately from the fridge it's perfect.
1/2 C oil
1 1/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 C flour
1/3 C cocoa - sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C golden Syrup
30g Chocolate - preferably dark
1 1/2 Tbsp Cocoa
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp double cream
2 small bags of Maltesers
- Start with the fudge sauce so you can let it cool
- In a bowl set aside broken pieces of chocolate and cocoa mixed together
- In a pan bring the golden syrup, sugar and double cream to boil, pour the liquid over the chocolate and cocoa and whisk quickly until the mixture becomes thick and glossy. Set aside to cool
- Preheat oven to 180 C /375 F and line a 9" spring form pan
- Mix the oil, sugar and eggs until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time so they incorporate well and each egg is beaten well to make it fluffy
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix through and then add the dry ingredients and stir through making sure the mixture does not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45-50 mins until the cake is set
- Once the cake is baked and cooled, let is set in the fridge so it's easier to manage and torte.
- To get the cake ready for decoration, torte or level the cake into 2 equal sizes and place the place one piece on the base and pour the fudge sauce over it. Let is set and then top with Malt frosting and spread over the first layer
- Place the second layer of cake on top and top the remaining frosting on top and all around the cake
- Decorate with Maltesers around the edge of the cake with crushed maltesers to cover the center
|Pour Fudge sauce over the cooled cake|
|Place the other half of the cake on top and frost all over and around|
|Decorate with malteresers all around and crush some to decorate the center|